About the Office
The Ombuds provides informal, impartial, and independent assistance for faculty seeking information on University conflict resolution processes.
About the Office
In the fall of 2014, The University Senate and the President formed the University of Florida Office of the Ombuds for Faculty. The Ombuds provides informal, impartial, and independent assistance for faculty seeking information on University conflict resolution processes. This office is a place where faculty members can seek information and guidance regarding concerns or conflicts at no cost and with confidentiality to the extent permitted by law.
The Ombuds does not advocate for the individual or institution or attempt to mediate disputes. Rather, the Ombuds is a source of information and provides assistance in answering questions regarding University processes and regulations, informal resolution procedures, formal grievance procedures, strategic and problem solving and analysis. The Ombuds does not replace the institution’s existing resources or processes for formal conflict resolution, including the grievance processes under UF Regulations or relevant collective bargaining agreements.
The Ombuds will:
- Provide a confidential environment to listen to questions and concerns
- Help identify alternative options and appropriate resources
- Explain University policies and procedures, including informal resolution and grievance options
- Offer an impartial perspective
- Assist with early strategizing to solve problems and minimize the potential escalation of conflict
- Identify patterns of emerging issues and, as needed, recommend university policy review based on these patterns
Contact should be made by calling the Ombuds for Faculty Office (352-273-1708). As the Ombuds is part-time, if he is not available, please leave a message and he will get back to you as soon as possible. He can also be reached by email at email@example.com. To maintain confidentiality, use email messages to set up times to talk.
For faculty covered under the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the University of Florida Board of Trustees and the United Faculty of Florida, your first contact should be with the UFF at http://www.uff-uf.org/contact/.